Thursday, August 25, 2011

Eid eve

I am smiling at the memory.


It is going to be Aidilfitri soon. 
By soon, I mean VERY soon. 
Underage children would have been very 
excited about 'Hari Raya'. 
Because I used to be an INNOCENT 
young girl, so I pretty much knew 
how exciting it was to celebrate Hari Raya. 
Eventhough, I used to not fasting 
the whole month of Ramadhan that time. 
Yeah, I was a little naughty!


And do you know what I was 
EAGER about Hari Raya?
ANG POW! 
Or it is called as 'Duit Raya' in Malaysia.


Don't laugh, darling. It is normal, for a kid. 
And not for a grown-up. 
Obviously because you DON'T get 'ang-pows' any more. You give.



Again I am smiling at the memory.


Back then at home, it was always thrilling at the end week of Ramadhan. It was hectic, seriously. Mom would FORCED me into the kitchen right after Fajr Prayer. To bake biscuits and cookies! The good thing was, since I have another 2 sisters who was living with Mom, so we got our shift. And the shifts were all scheduled by Mom. According to Mom, the cookies shifts were according to:





1. Our tendency and 
WILLINGNESS to help her.
2. Our ABILITY to complete 
her tasks successfully.
3. Our FAVOURITE cookies in jars.










I guessed that were the reasons why MY cookies always ended up burnt right in the oven and my brother always so willingly to bake his Pineapple Tarts...or he wouldn't have his tarts on his Hari Raya.


However most of the times, we seemed to ignored the shifts. My lovable sisters and me, we usually started baking together. In the middle of the processes, we would sing together. MELODIOUSLY. 


Songs on the list would be either Sudirman's Collections, Alleycat's Collections or some of the Classical Aidilfitri Collections. Now, I'm telling you, my sisters are the only 90's generation that memories era 60's and 70's songs..by HEART! Including my three little cousins! 


Oh! Then we usually started ignoring the cookies in the oven, together. And Mom would go like OH. NO. THEY. DID. IT. AGAIN! 


I was naughty. Still am!



Another thing I love was when 
the last day of Ramadhan came. 

Mom would prepare our iftar 
early than before. 
We would do some packing, 
put them in picnic baskets. 
In the afternoon, we gathered 
all the foods and drinks 
and pluck some flowers and 
some clothes (if needed) and 
STUFFED them all into the car. 

And OFF we went. 



To the cemetery where they laid the bodies of my granny and my great grandpa and great grandma. We would spent time with them there...reciting Qur'an for them to hear...and praying for their wellness. It was taught in Islam that muslims should visit the cemeteries in the AIDILFITRI EVE, not in the morning of Aidilfitri. 


But not lots of people know that. They went in the next morning instead. Hence it was not a surprise to find the graveyard was very silent and quiet. Yet calming and welcoming. And we like it there. We felt like meeting the elders telling them about our lives as if they were there, alive. Indeed, their SOUL were there.


And believe me, it was NOT SPOOKY. Not like what you imagined.


After saying good byes and salams to each other, the two lives parted. Lives in the dunya. Lives in the barzakh. Wait! Don't go BANANAS! I am not saying things like spirits and ghosts here, OK. We all WILL experience those. After all. life is short.


As the Maghrib was approaching, 
we headed to the beach. 
And had our iftar there 
then drove back home. 
Or sometimes we would rent 
a chalet somewhere near the beach, 
spent the night there. 
It was all the routine for my family.  


I kind of MISS the routine. 
So much that I wish 
I could FLY back home for this very day. 


Yeah. If I want to fly, I will need WINGS, which I obviously don't have. My!!! How could there was song like 'Flying WITHOUT Wings'???!!


At this very moment, I am in the process of completing my Ramadhan. I hope this would be my BESTEST Ramadhan I ever had up till this age. 


Taqabbalallahu minna wa minkum.





Despite baking 
cakes and cookies, 
I was painting instead. 
Mainly because I'm 
an artist and 
TOTALLY ADDICTED 
to painting (^__^)






Think I better start looking for some ingredients and make some seriously DELICIOUS homemade cookies. Otherwise it won't feel like celebrating Aidilfitri, right?

We have to celebrate! Shawwal is the month of victory. Let me tell you, there were several victorious events used to happened in the month of Shawwal stated in books of siirah, such as:

1. Completion of marriage to Aisha (ra) : Shawwal, 1 AH.
2. Banu Qainuqa' expedition : Shawwal, 2 AH.
3. Battle of Uhud :  15th Shawwal, 3 AH.
4. Battle of Ahzab : Shawwal and Dzul Qa'dah, 5 AH.

In case I'm busy, Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri!


Above all these, for those who attain TAQWA, that is the REAL victory.



But Allah will deliver the righteous to their place of salvation: no evil shall touch them, nor shall they grieve.(Qur'an, Az-Zumar 39:61)



Everybody's looking for a something
One thing that makes it all complete
You'll find it in the strangest places
Places you never knew it could be
Westlife


P/S: Here is my eid present for you! Eid Mubarak!
       What to do in Shawwal?

No comments: